Of all of the advice I have received over the years what has resonated most, is the the very simple approach that follows. Take all training offered, available and logically possible, utilize what works, shape what helps to fit your abilities and then throw away what does not. This approach alone has allowed me to survive and thrive through numerous surgeries, wildfires, two tornadoes, one earthquake and several flood events.
In addition, because of my fathers teaching and our (my wife and I) teaching of my children in a similar manner, recent events showed yet again the benefits of always being prepared through extensive training and repetition of important life saving information. Without going into too much detail, the events were as follows.
- Last Saturday, the day before fathers day, my father and daughter were on a small jaunt with his motorcycle.
- My wife, son and I were headed down to pick my daughter up.
- We received a call, my daughter (7 years old) was on the phone, she stated they had been in an accident and that she was fine and they were fixing grandpa, (my dad).
- Within 45 minutes we were at the scene of the incident, Arizona Black Ice seems the most likely culprit of the incident at this time given both stories compiled with evidence at the scene, eg., dirt on hot pavement, very slick and almost completely undetectable.
- My father had made the conscious decision to avoid dumping the bike, even though this meant he would surely be harmed more as a result, his decision was based on the desire to prevent my daughter from being harmed seriously.
- They ended up around 10 feet down in a culvert/mesquite tree, my daughter pulled herself out from under the bike, losing a shoe in the process. She than proceeded to climb the embankment, flag down help, ask them to call an ambulance for Grandpa and than proceeded to call me (remembering my phone number after all of that).
- She sustained minor abrasions and cuts, and bruising that will take a bit to get over. Grandpa is recovering following surgeries and may take upwards of a year to fully recover.
Very simply put, my father and my daughter were both heroes on that day.
It was training, a staunch survive or die mindset and the ability to categorize need over emotional outbursts that allowed my daughter to act in a cognizant manner and save her grandfather, as well as allowing him to save her!
When we arrived on scene the helicopter had just arrived, it was at this point that my daughter engaged in/allowed a very necessary act of dumping the adrenaline through tears and sobs of both relief and sadness for grandpa (as he was not doing well at the moment). However, she held it together as long as she needed to because, this is how she has been taught. Fix the problem, do what you must or can, ensure your safety and that of those you love around you, than when all is relatively safe, let it out!
I cannot tell you what is the best training for you, I can however say with absolute certainty that training is essential to long term survival, specifically the ability to rationally approach ANY situation and look at it with eyes based on what needs to be done, not with emotionally charged eyes looking at what you hope someone else may do for you!
The recent shootings that have made mainstream media disgust me. Especially considering that it is humans committing these atrocious acts and not pieces of metal and plastic/wood.
However, what causes me the most distaste is the absolute inability of a large part of the population to take responsibility for themselves and take action in situations like these. Filming, texting, tweeting, facebooking and hiding on a dirty bathroom floor ARE NOT heroic actions. Rather, the real heroes here would have acted to end the actions of this/these gunmen. Congresspersons sitting on a floor to take away natural rights, IS NOT HEROIC. Rather the heroes are those who ignore immoral laws and STOP criminals before they kill more people. Heroes are people who end up in British prisons for life for STOPPING a thug from HARMING his family in THEIR HOME! The heroes are individuals who SHOOT SEVERAL MEN attempting to BEAT and ROB yet more individuals on a subway in NYC.
Train, be prepared and remember one simple reality. An immoral law is no law at all! (I do not utilize biblical definitions of morality but rather the currently accepted definition for morality/immorality) If your desire to see me without a firearm or knife makes my family a target, I will ignore your desires. It is not up too any individual or set of individuals to tell any other individual what natural rights they may or may not have. Being prepared, trained and ready to defend myself or save my family or self is MY NATURAL RIGHT and I will never give that up.
Remember, if you actually care about your natural rights, you will be willing to die to ensure they continue. I am, are you?
Free the mind and the body will follow