Having the ability to carry sufficient water or at least gather sufficient water is essential for the individual or group looking to live for an extended time in the high desert regions of the world. No where else is water so absolutely essential as the high desert areas. Even the sand desert or low desert regions are not as important, for with those you expect to need plenty of water whereas with the high desert you can be fooled into believing that water is not as important.
Over the years I have used the steel military surplus canteens and the awesome cup/pots that come with the older models. I love these and still to this day have several stuck in various bags. However, I have begun transitioning to the wide mouth Klean Kanteen approach for a variety of reasons. These will follow.
- They blend easily in with normal day hikers, you dont stand out as the crazy prepper/gun nut that everyone and their mother reports to whomever will listen.
- They are simple to use and larger (when using the 40 oz. Klean Kanteen) the standard military styled canteen holds 32 oz.
- The Klean Kanteen is a single walled steel canteen that allows you too carry clean water as well as boil water when needed.
- It is quite easy to attach 550 cord or my favorite the SGT Bank Line in #15 – #30 all of which work quite well and resist rot very well. The lid on the new models are VERY well made as compared to the older versions as you can see below.
- Because of the wide mouth it is much easier to collect water for boiling then with a military style small mouth canteen.
- Boiling water using these is more difficult then doing so using my Irish designed Kelly Kettle cook stove. However, in a pinch it can be done and will ensure clean water for you and the family. Remember, just like the Kelly Kettle, remove the lid when boiling and keep it boiling for between 15 minutes and an hour to ensure best cleanliness.
These are the reasons I have decided to go with the Klean Kanteen, while there are other designs and models available, I highly recommend this one. It is less expensive and just as well built as the Nalgene version though significantly less money. It is much better built then many other less expensive versions from China. (I hesitate to purchase some products made in China when it comes to food based approaches.)
As with all reviews and suggestions, your input is highly appreciated and desired. Don’t hesitate to put your two cents in. Remember, we only learn by practising what we know and sharing this knowledge with others.
Free the mind and the body will follow