How many times have you heard or read that racking a shotgun causes instantaneous urination and fainting of the bad guys? Or that a round from the .223/5.56 AR15 will penetrate fifteen houses and four bodies and generally continues onwards from there? Or that any caliber below .45 auto/ .308-7.62×51 will encourage continued aggression and simply doesnt work? Or lastly, that a weapon attached light will make you a target, sadly, the first shot you fire makes you a target. (so stop hamstringing yourself and train properly!)
Honestly, I see or hear this almost daily at local ranges and over the internutz from the various nuts that tend to proliferate in places like Reddit and Google+. It is quite difficult at times to bite my tongue and ignore what these individuals are saying, though I have learned that gentle promotion of facts tends to change peoples minds over time. As the saying goes, you get more flies with honey than vinegar.
The ubiquitous AR15 is often maligned and recently thanks to even more myths being promoted by many individuals without support has become a target for everyone from the anti gunner crowd through the staunch advocates of the AK/ Eastern Bloc crowd. Before we continue further it is essential to understand that I am an owner and promoter of owning com bloc surplus and designs. I enjoy them and find them to be extremely reliable with very few easily fixed flaws. In fact if it were not for my long standing love affair with the Glock 19 handgun I would likely only have com bloc handguns in the house. This being said the reasons for my decisions with regards to the AR15 as the primary tool for my families and my own self defense are easily broken down for those reading.
- Most modern tyranny enforcement agents (LE/LEO/police) carry some version of the AR15. Ammunition availability is quite good and the ability to replenish if necessary is also easily accomplished.
- Modern loads are amazing performers and can literally be tuned to dance upon command when necessary. With the common defensive loads ranging from 55 grain through 69 grains the possibilities and choices for your defensive needs are easily selected. For instance in my house we use the Hornady 55 grain vmax which after extensive personal testing shows a tendency to break up upon contact with flesh/synthetic examples and Javelina/ hog tests as well as when contacting drywall/glass/etc., making it an effective yet safer alternative to a 9 pellet 12 or 20 gauge loading (magnum/ standard) as these loads do not break up and can easily penetrate several layers of drywall or other mediums before stopping. Additional personal defense loads in our house include the winchester otm 62 grain which is also a solid preformer, though vastly more penetrative.
- Modern AR15 rifles are extremely reliable rivaling in some cases the best AK builds available to the American gun owner. While there are some individuals who claim differently My personal testing and use during heavy training has proven the platforms I have to be reliable, as reliable or more so than my AK/SKS platforms (and I have Nodak recievers/ etc.)
- Modern AR15s have a plethora of available parts which can easily make them both comfortable and accurate for less practiced shooters. My wife recently adopted one of my AR’s as she stated, I like how this one shoots…and indeed she is very accurate with it, putting round after round into a quarter sized group at 50-150 yards.
- Would I carry or use an AK? Absolutely, and I do on occasion. This however does not change the simple fact that with a good barrel, solid receiver and parts the average AR15s lifespan is about 3 times that of the average AK rifle. This is also a fact, something that many people fail to consider and tend to forget. The standard AK rifle has a lifespan of approximately 15 thousand rounds, after which the barrel is generally shot out and while it may continue to function will have dangerous accuracy at best. The standard AR15 has a lifespan of between 35 and 50 thousand rounds depending on barrel and use of course making it a better investment in terms of money spent for gain received.
Here are some simple easily verified facts.
Racking a shotgun only advertises that you are both unready and incapable of beneficial self defense. It is neither scary nor bad ass to have to rack a round into the chamber of your firearm, the military only teaches this because they do not consider the average soldier a sound enough investment to spend time teaching them how to walk with a round in the chamber.
Over penetration, – this is negligible as an argument for or against the use of a firearm. Rather you should always know how to use a firearm and train regularly to use it effectively and efficiently regardless tool preferred or chosen. This being said the infamous 62 grain green tip is a crap round and will overpenetrate ridiculously while failing to promote quick exsanguination.
From experience a weapon attached light is much preferred to holding one away from the body and those who say differently have no experience or testing to support their theories. Rather they are taking numerous bad ideas and putting them together into one gigantically bad idea that will end up getting them killed.
Be safe, be smart and train with someone who is not just an NRA collector of training certificates. Lets be honest folks, the NRA has lost most of its credibility with real shooters around the world. While they are a large politically correct organization and because of this their training is still “LE standard” lmao, this does not by default mean what they teach is correct or proper, in fact most LE who actually pay attention will tell you what other shooters have known for years, standard LE or NRA training sucks and will in many cases get you killed rather than help you stay alive.
Regardless, think, train smart and research everything testing yourself the theories you believe in.
Free the mind and the body will follow