Self preservation is a core human desire, regardless method this is something all humans strive for. This century has seen more robotic initiated deaths per capita than many other centuries saw as a result of natural causes. Due to advanced methods of causing death to other humans it is only natural that most humans would strive to use high tech methods in response.
It is my opinion as someone who trains in and uses martial arts of many varieties, that we should remember the classics. It is in training with the classic arts that we will find they may still be applied against technologically superior foes. One tool that is often overlooked in the modern world of the gun and drone is the knife. It is with this tool that the human surpassed all other animal species and became dominate. It is with the practiced use of this tool that humans may retain their freedom and lives.
The knife is almost always available regardless place of residence and tyranny imposed. One may use a sharpened, fire hardened stick to much success, a piece of glass will cut as will almost any scrap metal. Obviously, it would be beneficial to have access to a tempered professionally made carbon steel knife, however, in practice a simple piece of stiff rubber in the general size and shape of a knife will suffice. The benefit to learning and practicing knife skills is that regardless the type of stabbing, thrusting or slashing implement available you will be able to use it proficiently.
There are hundreds of instructors and programs that all claim they are the best and they are unbeatable. What any honest martial arts student or instructor will not readily admit but knows is that no system is unbeatable, no style without flaw. Rather each individual should adapt that style that fits their abilities, desire and lifestyle. Having practiced with several different styles for hand held weapons, it is my opinion that one may easily adapt a variety of approaches so as to better supplement their defense.
This being said, one should choose what type of blade they wish to carry. Personally a solid folding tanto styled blade works quite well, however, others will suggest clip points, reverse curves and more. Again, what does your local tyrant allow? For purposes of self defense against thin skinned mammals such as dogs and humans, blade length is not as important as many tyrannies would have you believe. Many jurisdictions would have you believe that personally carried blades of over 4″ are more deadly weapons because of blade length, this is false. After all, what causes death from bullets? Yes, loss of blood, and one can cause large amounts of blood loss quickly with a single edge razor blade.
Just as with any defensive implement the object is not always to kill, but to stop the threat. Slashing, drawing blood and causing immediate pain as a result will in many cases stop a threat, regardless ability to speak or possession of an opposable thumb. For instance dogs and felines have extremely sensitive noses, ears and easily targeted necks if you dont mind taking a bite or two to get there. As with any hand to hand combative approach you must be willing to and accept the reality that you will get hit, bit or cut. This is a fact of fighting in close, never believe the instructors who would tell you differently, you will get hurt, the object of training is to avoid being disabled and in some fortunate cases hurt much.
So here are some quick hints to remember when training with edged weapons of any type, again please understand what follows is my opinion, taken from training and experience.
1. Overhand strikes are ridiculous, slow and easily blocked. No seasoned knife fighter will begin with one, ever.
2. The abdomen, soft inside of arms and legs are large and easily targeted with slashes, swipes, cuts and picks (controlled fast stabs).
3. Your body has natural movement patterns, if you follow these you will more easily be able to defend yourself with a smaller amount of training.
4. Protect your abdomen, use the outside and front of arms and legs to block and or trap edged blows. Yes you will bleed and NO strikes to the outside or front of those extremities are not generally fatal.
5. Be smart, STAY alert, always be aware of your surroundings.
6. Look for instructors who are willing to and easily admit gaps in their training approaches. Any others are fooling themselves and you for the sake of a buck, they are not worth your time.
7. STAY ALERT
8. A weapon carried is always better than the weapon at home.
9. BE AWARE of your surroundings.
10. No one approach is perfect, and this includes the relatively new Krav Maga, amazing how many cash cows willingly fork over hundreds of dollars a month for training that in the end may never actually help them simply because their favorite television star or internet guru said it was the best. (Dont be an idiot)
Free the mind and the body will follow