Long ago a different me had “friends” who stood with me through thick and thin. We drank, drove and did dubious things together. More importantly we had a brotherhood that made us inseparable. I often reflect on my past and sometimes honestly regret none of my choices except walking away from friends like that.
Trust was earned through hard work and shared experiences. More importantly we knew that none of us would do anything to bring harm to each other intentionally. As a result of things outside of our control we went separate ways and eventually lost touch. I will be honest, I miss the sense of security that came with even such a small group of friends as ours was at the time.
Fortunately there are is a small number of people with whom I have friendships that reflect the closeness that I believe most humans crave. Personally my code with friends is simple and follows.
- Never ask more then they wish to divulge.
- Always be willing to lend a helping hand or shoulder if they need help.
- What they tell me stays with me, always.
- No one can come in between friends or family, and both understand that.
So maybe the 1% crowd has it right?
After all in this nation of cowards most “friends” stand by and watch while their friends are abused, others film and then post those films and think they are heroes for doing that. What passes for friendship now is nothing like I believe. Of course, everyone is their own individual.
So do you have friends, or acquaintances that you would be better off without?
- Alone in a crowd ! (ankitachakravarti.wordpress.com)
- The Future of Crowd Work (is303blog.wordpress.com)