One of the most common arguments against anarchy by young people is that we are not all the same. They will make the following statement or a variation of it, “You and I are good to each other, but we need government because evil exists?” While the statement, bad people exist, is indeed true it is not logical to apply this to everyone blindly.
I want to make it clear that there are certain realities that exist and are simply apart of the natural order of things. I will also show why these realities should have reason applied to them before simply accepting the common arguments proposed against individual governance by those who believe in the state.
- Violence exists, this is a natural side effect of life. Modern media and instantaneous communication allows people to show everyone around the world the most horrendous act or incident of the day. However, with over seven billion humans and only a limited amount of available time to search a very small number of actual incidents will seem like quite a bit to the average human barraged with image after image of the most vile acts men can commit. The reality is that less then 3% of the worlds population commit 97% of violent crime. Numerically it is an essential fact to remember. More importantly, if you add the various conflicts, wars and police actions being engaged in daily you will find that the results of these actions end far more lives then the lone gunman or murdering psychopath. In an anarchist society violence will be dealt with immediately by those being violated or those around them. Private organizations specializing in restitution, research and forensics will allow people to have crimes solved and criminals punished directly by the wronged parties and their families.
- Someone is raped every minute of every day, the rising number of both male and female rapes can be directly attributed to the mindset indoctrinated into the average human around the world today. We are taught from birth that might makes right, our nation declared itself the worlds policeman in the early 1900’s and as a direct result of that tens of millions of humans died. An indirect result is the massive increase in incarceration for non-violent crimes. The largest number of rapes per capita occur in the military and prisons. While rape as a crime has seen overall increases in general society the number is vastly lower then in these two institutional organizations. The very goal of the military is to ensure that those involved understand what they do no matter how morally reprehensible is necessary for the “freedom” of the world, or to support their comrades in arms. The goal of the prison system is simply to generate revenue, with several major industries sole means of income coming from this vile institution. Both military and prison teach a simple rule when you strip all of the accoutrements from the propaganda that those involved willingly accept and promote. Might makes right, you got caught so we own you, or you volunteered so we own you, now take this gun and go shoot who we say. Rape is a crime based in the idea that the rapist is stronger then the person being raped. In an anarchist society rapists will be dealt with and the mindset that allows this to proliferate now will be greatly reduced.
- Theft will exist with anarchy and without, however, with anarchy it will be far less per capita. The government itself is the largest form of organized crime currently in existence. The facts are simple, government offers protection in exchange for your money. This is no different then any protection racket across time. The sad fact is that like any other organized crime family, the governments sole purpose is to enrich those in power while controlling those within its arbitrary domain. Thus theft exists but on a far larger scale when government controls society. Because most governments utilize the “greater good” argument the subjects are more likely to use theft themselves as a means of either enriching or simply survival. Within a truly anarchist society where each individual controls themselves theft will be less. Those who desire to steal from others will be dealt with in the manner that is suitable at the time and for each individual involved. Property rights will be fully understood and embraced, whereas currently the government essentially owns everything and everyone.
So here is my response to those who make the logical misstep of stating that because evil exists we need government.
Wrong action exists regardless the existence of government or not, look to the natural world for proof there. However, without government these things that cause the most angst will be greatly reduced, look to the various societies that have existed with tribal, village or no government alone. It is the voluntary support of the government that allows it to continue. It is a broken system that cannot be fixed and should be eradicated with extreme prejudice. Armies would not be needed, police would be privately funded and all of the various forms of infrastructure can easily be had for far less without government.
The internet proves that borders are useless arbitrary tools useful only for causing problems that the government can then “fix.” With the internet ideas and people traverse the globe daily and do so with little effort. Arbitrary monetary systems controlled by governments continue to lose real spending power while digital mediums of exchange without any government interference allow people to trade around the world instantly. Evil exists, the animals show that, however, if we use that as a reason to continue subjugating everyone then why do we exist at all? Freedom, real freedom can only be had without government. Yes, being free is not easy, however, the greatest innovations man has ever completed are largely a result of difficult times.
When you are told that because of some evil we need government, show those arguing this why that argument is faulty. Remember, humans are an odd lot, when we are faced with the truth we tend to get defensive and will almost always resort to attacks, threats and the like instead of simply admitting we may be wrong. Help others free their minds by showing them the facts. Do not force feed them, stop protesting and causing scenes. Show those who see only the negative side of life that we are a positive bunch of individuals. Grow a garden, be friendly with your neighbours, stop preaching at them and most importantly, never forget just because you believe one thing doesn’t mean others have too.
Free the mind and the body will follow.
*If you need the graphs and statistics ask, everything has been cited in previous articles numerous times.
- The Answer (darionm777.wordpress.com)
- The Attitude of an Anarchist (dailypaul.com)
- Rape (mylittleworldofnothing.wordpress.com)
- America still doesn’t know how to talk about rape (salon.com)
- We’ve Been Measuring Rape All Wrong (slate.com)
- Met accused of under-recording rape by up to 25% (itv.com)
- Violent crime up 15%… (apnews.myway.com)
- Police Arrested Almost 750,000 People For Marijuana In 2012 (theweedblog.com)
- Rape in the Media (thelonelybrooklynelf.wordpress.com)
- Violent crime rises for second consecutive year (usatoday.com)