Practical training is a necessary element for the benefit of the individual. In this it is my responsibility as someone who is trained and trains others to ensure that I understand to the best of my abilities and knowledge how to do the basics correctly. Safety is the most important aspect when using the various defensive tools in your chest.
Safety is simple,
- All firearms are always loaded
- Loaded or not keep the finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire
- Loaded or not always make sure the muzzle is pointed in a safe direction
I have adapted these simple rules for kids and adults depending on their level of need. However, the absolute basics for safety will always come back to a very simple single sentence. All firearms are always loaded.
For other tools adapt as needed, but always make it as simple and easy to remember as possible. Just because you have written a safety approach that is nine pages long doesnt make it a good thing. In fact, it almost always ensures failure in some way. It is like the current legal system, someone will always be crossing someones line at some time regardless how well they know the law. So make it simple, make it easy to remember and make it a mantra. My four year old when asked what are the rules with guns will always respond with, “all guns are always loaded.” The rest never matters as much as that one key point.
Free the mind and the body will follow
- AK-47′s, Cops and Kids (jessetalksback.com)
- Be prepared, dont be paranoid…always be prepared (jessetalksback.com)
- A down and dirty quick review of the FEG PA63, the poor mans short sword (jessetalksback.com)
- The Art of War (istitutodiplomatico.wordpress.com)
- Advanced Shooting Drills: Safe movement, drills and practice (jessetalksback.com)
- Handguns for self defense: Why choose what you choose? (jessetalksback.com)