Most of you know by now my stance on the military, police and government. We all know that no war or conflict in recent history has been for our benefit or protection. In fact every one of them has been for the benefit of those in power. Just like the “shutdown” there is no net benefit other then to cause more division and make it seem like they are a necessary evil. After all, they are sitting at an all time low for approval, meaning, no one with a brain believes them any more regardless party. However, with that being said I enjoyed the following article and sentiments expressed. I would ask the readers to look with an open mind, everyone is an individual and looks at what they do based on personal viewpoints! Enjoy!
I layed in bed tonight for over an hour, unable to sleep with my mind racing at “break neck speed”. I usually fall asleep quickly, but my conscious would not allow that tonight. The guilt and shame I felt was some of the most horrifying I have felt in years.
“What’s the problem?” you ask (well, you didn’t, but you should). The problem is this:
Our Veterans have served for our country; they served for you; they served for me. They served for us to enjoy the liberties, freedoms and rights we enjoy today. Many have been wounded (1.5+ million) and many have died (1.3+ million) since the Revolutionary War. Over 2.7 million people ( 3.5+ times the population of Alaska) have given their hearts and souls for us to live the life we do. In my mind that is a staggering amount of death and injuries. These are just actual U.S.A. Veterans/Soldiers, it does not include their families, loved ones or others affected, nor people from other countries who fought with us.
I don’t care if you disagreed with any/all of the wars or conflicts, these Veterans served for OUR country; they served so you could have an opinion about those wars and conflicts; they served so you can speak out against everything you wish (no matter how others may feel); they served so you can own a firearm or speak out against firearms; they served so you can vote for your Representatives; they served for all the right reasons, PERIOD. They didn’t ask us to “let” them go to war, they were sent, by us, for us!
So, why am I ashamed? Why should you be ashamed?
As stated, they have given. They given enough. Not one of them should be asked for more. But yet, there are Veterans from 18 to 90+ years old fighting for us again. This time they are not fighting on foreign land, they are fighting here, on our own land. They are fighting for us to continue to enjoy our freedoms and rights given to us by the Constitution and Bill of Rights. No one asked them to, they were not “recalled” to duty. They have seen what they fought for, what their friends and family died for, start to slip away. They have come back for US! Many of them wounded, maimed and disfigured. There are men and women in their 90′s being pushed in wheelchairs and protesting because they feel so strongly in protecting you and me!
We have watched TV, listened to the radio and seen on the Internet as the Government shut down Memorials that we built to honor these men and women. What did we do? We “posted, tweeted and liked” on the Internet.
What did they do? They said “Enough is Enough”, they converged on Washington D.C., they tore the barricades down that were placed around the Memorials to keep us out. They carried those barricades by hand to the White House (over 1/2 mile away) and gave them back to the President! They stood “toe to toe” with police in riot gear and made the police back down. Again, we “posted, tweeted and liked”. We sat in our living rooms, restaurants and bars, visited family, etc. while giving them “moral support”. There are over 300 million people in this country and only a few thousand are defending it, there is something wrong with that!
- I am ashamed that I watched 90+ year old Veterans in wheelchairs more willing to fight for me than I am them!
- I am ashamed that younger men and women than me with scars and disfigurements from battle, that are “forgotten” by us, are standing up for me again while I sit on my ass.
- I am ashamed that I stay comfortable, warm and dry in my home, at my desk, watching a movie on TV, enjoying a beer, while they stand and walk in the rain, carrying steel barricades 1/2+ miles.
- I am ashamed that I watched our dead soldiers come home and families not have money to bury them and did I nothing but “bitch & moan” to myself.
- I am ashamed that we have not given our Veterans the respect they deserve.
- I am ashamed that when our fallen soldiers return home their funerals are protested, families ridiculed and harassed.
- I am ashamed that we are spied upon and feel threatened by our own Government.
- I am ashamed of the way the world looks at us now, without respect or admiration.
- I am ashamed that so many of us claim to want change, but do nothing about it.
- I am ashamed that so many of us do not know the Constitution and Bill of Rights and how the Government is supposed to work.
I could go on, but if you haven’t started feeling shame by now you never will and you should feel ashamed for that.
What can we do? What should we do?
We should and can do Everything!
Call, write, email, fax, march, protest, stand strong and steadfast and not just one, do them all. We should defend our Country, our Rights, our Freedoms and Damn sure defend our Veterans!
- Are you willing to give up your right to free speech, own a firearm, fair and speedy trial, vote for your Representatives, etc.?
- Is it because you are busy?
- Is it because you don’t have the money?
- Is it because Washington D.C. is too far away?
- Will you be ashamed when these rights are gone and you did nothing?
- How will you explain to your spouse, children, grandchildren, friends and neighbors that you could have help stop it, but did nothing?
- How will you feel when your told what to do, when to do it, how to do it and who you can do it with?
- How will you sleep at night knowing that the main reason you are doing nothing is, point blank, it’s an “Inconvenience”?
- If we do nothing, do we have the Right to complain? Do we deserve what we get?
We are guaranteed the right to be equal, to not be persecuted for our race, skin color, religion, level of education, disabilities, sexual orientation, beliefs. We are guaranteed the right to own firearms, to travel freely, to own and operate a business, to work for fair wages, to vote for our representatives and so on. How much are those rights worth to you? How much of an “inconvenience” are you willing to go through to protect them? Are you willing to die or watch a loved one die to get them back when you could have saved these rights from the beginning?
- We need to “descend” on Washington D.C., not just 100 or 1,000, but 1, 2, 3, 4, 5+ million!
- Everyone wants their protest to get recognition, to have separate recognition from all the others, but you won’t get to protest if we all don’t join together.
- You won’t make a difference to the Veterans, the truckers, against Monsanto, against “da man“, against a war, against corruption, against anything if you don’t have the right to Free Speech anymore.
- We need to “Be as One” to keep those rights. Fix the biggest problem first, the one that poses the most threat, that one that can kill any chance of fixing any other problems.
We do not have to be violent, use force or anything along those lines to be heard.
We do need to “stand together” to let our representatives know we are serious. They do not take 100, 1,000 or even 10,000 serious. That is too small a number to worry about for them. They will just give a “fancy” speech and walk away. But, if millions stand up they will take notice. They will worry for their jobs and their votes.
This is not about any political party. Blaming Republicans, Democrats, Tea Party, President, House, Senate or anyone else is just an excuse. There are some good politicians from all parties in their now, but just like with us, it’s hard for them to fight a brick wall. They need our support and we need theirs. We cannot keep borrowing money that there is no hope of ever paying back, making our citizens more dependent on the government for necessities such as food, water, heat, healthcare, etc.
The United States of America cannot survive on the path it is going. It has been shown over and over again in history with too many other countries, empires, dynasties, etc. We can either stop it all now or suffer the consequences later. You and I may make it out okay, but our children will not. Someone will have to pay the price for all of the bad decisions made, it’s inevitable. There will be suffering and hardship, so what? Are we so selfish that we will pass all of this on to our children and grandchildren? Our forefathers suffered for us and we owe it to our descendants.
This country was founded with the Constitution and Bill of Rights and I think they did a pretty damn good job; the forefathers were very forward thinking in the wording to protect all future generations that may come. Yes, we have had our “bumps in the road”, but we smoothed them out and moved on. We are not entitled to anything except what is written in those two documents, after that you earn it.
If you do not agree with the Constitution or Bill of Rights there are over 195 other countries in the world to choose from. Have a nice trip!
Honor thyself, thy family, thy neighbor, thy religion, thy country.
If we all do that, we will be okay.
- Veterans, Supporters Rally Against Gov’t Shutdown (minnesota.cbslocal.com)
- Georgia students witness barricade take down at Lincoln Memorial (savannahnow.com)
- Good Morning, America. (patriotmarine62.wordpress.com)
- Veterans Stand Together (v1p3rarms.wordpress.com)
- “Veterans Remove Barricades From Memorials And Take Them To White House.” (althouse.blogspot.com)